Many people simply brush their teeth in the morning and at night. Not much thought goes into the process, which isn't good since taking care of your teeth requires more than just brushing. If you go above and beyond, you can be sure that you keep your teeth in the best shape, thus allowing you to keep them whiter, as well as lower the chance of losing any teeth due to infection or improper care in the future. Here are five ways to care for your teeth on the daily:
- Don't Rush the Brush: When you go to brush your teeth, you probably rush it and then head quickly straight to bed. However, tooth brushing shouldn't be rushed. You should be brushing for at least two minutes. This is going to ensure that you reach all areas of the mouth and remove as much built up bacteria as possible. Try setting a timer to help ensure that you are giving your teeth the proper brush.
- Choose the Right Toothbrush: There are many different types of toothbrush types to choose from. It is important that you are choosing the right one and not just the one that is one sale at the store. Everyone has a different type of toothbrush that is right for them. For example, if you have a hard time reaching the back of your mouth, it may be because the toothbrush you use is too large. Instead, choose one that is smaller. Also, be sure that you choose a toothbrush that has soft bristles that won't irritate the teeth or the gums.
- Brush With the Right Technique: If you brush back and forth, you could be irritating your gums. Instead, you should be brushing up and down. You also want to be sure that you are brushing your tongue, which many people forget to do. Remember, bacteria gathers on the tongue, as well.
- Floss Afterwards: Once brushing is done, many people stop caring for their teeth until the next time they brush again. However, after you brush, you should be flossing. Don't just stop at brushing. Be sure that you are gentle while brushing so you are not cutting the gums.
- Rinse with Mouthwash: In order to remove even more bacteria, rinse out your mouth with mouthwash after brushing. This can also help to prevent gingivitis.
By knowing these five ways to provide more care to your teeth, you can avoid having to deal with major dental work in the future. For more information on ways to keep your teeth white, check out cosmetic dentistry specialists.